Have you ever had a question about the best, safest way to use an essential oil? You’re not alone! Essential oils are potent gifts from nature that can often be more powerful than expected. In order to prevent misuse of these precious oils and to ensure that you enjoy their maximum benefit, Young Living Founder D. Gary Young, working with Director of Global Education and Health Sciences Dr. Lindsey Elmore and other product experts on her team, has created this helpful safety guide. Refer to it to learn the basics of essential oil use, how to handle skin sensitivity, and other valuable information.
DISCLAIMER: This information ONLY applies to Young Living's therapeutic grade oils.
- Some oils are photosensitive - If you are going to be exposed to direct sunlight or UV rays, certain oils should be used with caution. Photosensitive oils include (but not limited to) lemon, grapefruit, orange, bergamot, etc. Make sure to read labels and refer to a good reference book to provide more in-depth guidance.
- Essential oils are potent - If adding dietary oils to a drink, make sure you are using glass and not plastic. Oils can release toxins in the plastic.
- Never use water to dilute oils - If an oil causes discomfort, flush and dilute the area with a carrier oil such as Young Living's V-6 or coconut oil
- Do not drop oils directly in the eye or ear canal
- Follow all usage instructions on label
- If using prescription medicines, consult your physician
Any time you hold a bottle of our powerful essential oils, you are holding the pure essence of health-promoting botanicals.
- Topically - Essential oils can be applied topically to the skin. Some oils require dilution with a carrier oil before rubbing them on the skin, such as coconut oil, olive oil, or Young Living’s V-6 blend. You can apply some oils neat, which means without diluting.
- Aromatically – Essential oils can be inhaled from the bottle or diffused in the air with a diffuser. They can also be dropped on a cotton ball or wet cloth and inhaled.
- Internally – Because Young Living essential oils are therapeutic grade, many of them can be used internally and taken orally as a dietary supplement. ALWAYS read the bottle to see if a specific oil is safe for internal use. NEVER use a lesser-quality brand of oil internally (the bottle of another brand usually says “Not for internal use!”)